Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Haiti

The news about the earthquake in Haiti is so tragic. Frankly, I don't know what to say about it. A country filled with people who were suffering are only suffering more today.

For Christmas, Dave and I decided to give money to Healing Haiti, which helps orphans by providing food, water, education and housing.

So tonight I was checking out Healing Haiti's Web site and blog to see if they had any information on how they'd been impacted by the earthquake. As you can imagine, they're still trying to get information from their workers and contacts. They have an orphanage in Titanyen where houses were completely destroyed. In their recent blog post they said, they haven't been able to reach the director of that orphanage and don't know anything about the 23 children there. 

They also said this:  
This is so much worse that we could have ever imagined and the information we continue to receive is not getting any better. This is truly an unbelievable event that we still cannot comprehend. Before the quake, only 30% of the people in Haiti had access to clean drinking water and now there is even less water available. We have one water truck staffed and will be running again when the roads are passable and we have another water truck that was shipped down last year that we want to put into service. We are also working with Feed My Starving Children to ship an emergency container of food to Haiti. I will be leading a small contingent of volunteers to Haiti hopefully in the next week.

Please consider helping Healing Haiti get their second water truck up and running. You can donate online through this link.

I've talked to a few people about it, but I'd been thinking that I want to join Healing Haiti on one of their mission trips this year. I guess I did mention it here. Now I'm feeling like this is something I really need to do. I have no idea how I would come up with the money to do it, but I know I can do it if I'm determined enough.

J.B.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts? I'd love to hear.