Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Sneak Preview

I got a sneak preview of Mary, Katie and Anthony! They got in last night around ten. We picked them up at the airport and then we hung out for a little bit at the house before bed while Anthony and Otis ran around. It was one of Cooper's first times seeing a little boy, and he was pretty timid about that. He squirted all over the garage and driveway when our NC family arrived. (Dave wisely suggested we bring Cooper outside to meet the family, because he's known to squirt when he gets excited or nervous). Then he barked and barked and barked.

And this morning, he barked and barked again when he realized the NC family stayed all night. We headed to Perkin's for breakfast. I had french toast, since I don't eat eggs at Perkin's. Then I headed off to work around ten. lol. Yeah, so when family is in town and it's your manager's last day and you've officially given your two-week notice, you don't really care what time you show up for work.

Yeah, it's still pretty surreal that I only have six more work days at my job. I've been trying for so long to find something new -- and all of a sudden -- it's happened. I have something new. But I haven't started the new job yet, so it probably won't feel real until August 12 and I get off the freeway at a different exit and my path will literally turn towards something fresh, exciting and new.

Ok. So there's one other thing I need to mention. Me, the girl who never does any fundraisers, is signing up to do her second one this year. But I'm really energized to raise some funds for this cause. And I am honored to have been asked to participate. I am going to do the "Light the Night" walk for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. In this walk, cancer survivors carry white illuminated balloons and supporters carry red balloons.

In the last year, I've been touched by cancer with more friends and family members being diagnosed than I have probably the whole rest of my life combined. I've learned that even if you don't personally have cancer, it still affects you as you worry, pray and support those that do have it. Although, unfortunately, many people still die from cancer, I've learned that just because one is diagnosed with cancer, it is not a death sentence -- especially as more money is raised for cancer treatment. So I really want to help the cause so that more people can beat the cancer with treatment and go into remission.

My friend, Tonya, was one of my friends that was diagnosed with cancer in the last year. She went through the chemo and radiation and now has been in remission for five months! She's actually the captain for my team. I am truly inspired by Tonya's story. She has two adorable little girls, and I am sure that the day she was diagnosed, she was living a nightmare worrying about what could happen. But Tonya didn't let the worry dampen her spirits. She battled the cancer with her doctor-prescribed treatment and her self-prescribed enthusiasm. There just isn't enough room in her body for both her heart and cancer. Her heart is too big and too full of life, so obviously the cancer had to go. And it did. And Tonya is just as enthusiastic about life and her girls as ever. She's definitely inspired me with her attitude. From Tonya's example, I have learned that you can't take life for granted and you must live everyday to your fullest.

Tonya wants more people to be cancer survivors just like herself. So that's why she decided to start the team for this walk. I want more people to be cancer survivors too. That's why I decided to accept Tonya's invitation and help her team raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. The walk isn't until October, so you can pretty much guarantee that you'll hear about it on my blog again. But I'm really excited to do this, so I'm putting it out there now. And if you want to help support Tonya's team right away, you can do so by donating to me at http://www.active.com/donate/ltnStLo1/2299_jbalow

1 comment:

  1. That's so great! I did a Light the Night walk when I lived in Ohio...it's absolutely incredible.

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts? I'd love to hear.