Tuesday, January 20, 2009

President Barack Obama


Today, President Barack Obama was sworn in as our country's 44th President. There's only a handful of times when I've known I'm witnessing something major in our country's history -- and this probably tops the list. For having stayed so on top of the election process -- from the primaries and debates to the election -- I feel like I haven't been able to witness today's events to the fullest (thinking inauguration should be a national holiday), but at least I was able to stream in the swearing in and inaugural address onto my computer at work.

The other day on the radio, people were calling in to share what this means to them. I've been thinking about that lately. What does it mean to me that Barack Obama is President of the United States?

Probably the most important thing for me is a new hope for peace and justice. Also, hope that our there will be new-found accountability for our government. I feel like we have a President who actually will protect and defend the Constitution, rather then bend and distort its definitions to strengthen his power. A President who is willing to create dialogue and driven to find common ground -- rather than an "your either with us or against us" attitude. I'm excited to have a President who is intelligent and will hopefully make smart decisions to bring prosperity back to our country. And I feel like we have regained some respect around the world.

The changes the the President is being called on to make won't be easy. But I believe he can...especially with the support he's getting from our people and around the world. In his inaugural address, President Obama didn't exactly paint a pretty picture of the current state of our affairs -- but despite the challenges we face, I am filled with an extraordinary amount of hope. We will get over these challenging times -- it's what we've done in the past and it's what we'll do today and tomorrow. I believe that today the dawn is breaking on a new, brighter day for our country...and it's so exciting to be part of this!

"America, in the face of our common dangers, in this winter of our hardship, let us remember these timeless words. With hope and virtue, let us brave once more the icy currents, and endure what storms may come. Let it be said by our children's children that when we were tested we refused to let this journey end, that we did not turn back nor did we falter; and with eyes fixed on the horizon and God's grace upon us, we carried forth that great gift of freedom and delivered it safely to future generations."

~President Barack Obama, Inauguration Address, January 20, 2009

3 comments:

  1. That was my favorite part...let us focus on hope and not fear!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still excited that we have a Democrate President. I think he will do a good job..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your favorite part. I meant to ask that question at the end of my post. Does anyone else have a favorite part?

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts? I'd love to hear.