Saturday, June 21, 2008

We did it!

Both Dave and I finished our races today. I can mark #3 and #43 completed on my 101 in 1,001 list (well, I edited #3 so I can mark it done. I did my best, even if the time didn't break my time record)!

I am very happy with my race. It wasn't a personal best, but it was my second best. Eight minutes faster than last year. I am very satisfied with that. I'm actually most proud that I kept a great attitude going the entire race. Last year ended up being really miserable. I cried. I didn't want to do it. I got really down on myself. There was one particular word I said in every sentence (starts with an F and ends with a K).

After the race, I was disappointed. I knew that I could have done better. I knew I could run faster. I knew I could have a better attitude. I think I decided right after the end of the race last year as I was sitting on a bench with Dave, giving Bobby the finger as he was taking our photo that I needed to do this race again. To prove to myself that I can. So I could be happy, proud of my hard work.

I did that this year.

This year I got on the bus that takes you to the start line all by myself (Dave had to get on a different bus to go to the marathon starting point). My cousin, Ginny, was looking out for me at the start so we started the run together. We ran the first half together. I felt great the whole time. We got to talk and it was fun to run with her....a great bonding experience. Her knee was bugging her though, so she slowed down and I kept going. The next couple of miles were good too. It was all pretty much great until I decided to walk through one of the water stops. My right knee started popping when I started running again. But unlike last year, this year I chose to stay positive despite the pain. And even though I had to slow down, I kept going, step by step. And as I crossed the finish line, I pumped my arms high in the air proud that I did it. Proud that I gave it my all. Proud that I did my 2nd best time. Proud that I ran with the right attitude.

Now that I am done and satisfied with the results. I think I could easily retire from 1/2 marathons. If I do, I'll go out on a good note. But if I decide to run again, I'll once again do it the way I did today.

Stay tuned...

---

Dave did it too! So really unfortunately for him he rolled his ankle on a crevice in the road right after the race began. But he and Bryan pushed on. I am really proud of Dave for staying in the race. Especially when I first saw him after the race....Trish was on one side, Andee was on the other...using them as crutches. But I also want to thank Bryan for staying with Dave the whole time. Bryan probably didn't get the time he wanted, but loyally stayed next to his friend's side and that means so much. Thank you!

Dave's taking a nap on the couch right now. He's got ice on his ankle for the third time since the end of the race. It's pretty swollen, a little bit bruised on the outside, and really tender. He'll probably have to go to the doctor next week.

4 comments:

  1. I'M SO PROUD OF YOU GUYS! Seriously...I'm sitting here tearing up because I'm so proud and I so wish i could've been there. I hate that my little brother is in pain...I definitely know how rough that can be. I hope it's nothing serious. I love you both and I'll see you soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Balows! It is amazing to complete a half marathonand a marathon, but to do it with such a great attitude and even in pain- wow!! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am so proud of you guys! so last year you cried b/c you were frustrated. so this year, did you cry b/c you were so excited and proud and relieved and overwhelmed that you made it and enjoyed it? SO AWESOME. and poor dave - but what a trooper. that's a tough guy. so good job guys - post pictures, soon, of the post race sweaty faces ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. F ......K ? hmmmmmmmmmmm oh I know what it was... FiretrucK. right?
    :-)
    VERY Very Very proud of you both. I know how much work has gone in to the training. I do wish all of us here in NC could have been there with you, cheering you on.
    Love to you both, and hugs for the "boys".
    Love ya, Pappy

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts? I'd love to hear.